Coupled with Discoverer Desktop's command-line interface it has always been possible to schedule the execution of a Discoverer workbook and export the output in a selected format, to a named file in a named folder. The difficulty has been in the emailing of that report. While there are a myriad of ways to email something, one of the simplest involves a product called Febooti. I discovered, pardon the pun, this product a few days ago and purchased a commercial license straight away. Now I can honestly say that all of my emailing problems have gone away and I can finally put this issue to bed.
With febooti Command line e-mail you can:
- Send email from the dos prompt to any number of recipients.
- Send attached files, text or HTML with embedded pictures.
- Send email using CC and / or BCC (Blind Carbon Copy).
- SMTP authentication (PLAIN, LOGIN, NTLM, CRAM-MD5).
- Secure connections by using -SSL and -STARTTLS.
- Set SMTP server address and SMTP server port.
- Create batch files to send email from any* program.
- Easy-to-use command line switches with alias support.
- Unlimited TO, CC and BCC number of recipients.
- Take parameters from external text file or files.
- e-update - checks for updates automatically.
I will be posting more information on this subject, including example scripts and a white paper during the coming weeks. For more information see my website (link).