Sunday, May 02, 2010

Flooding in Tennessee

As many of you will be aware there has been unprecedented and extensive flooding throughout Western and Central Tennessee this weekend. My home town is Cookeville which lies about 75 miles to the east of Nashville which as you know is one of the worst hit areas with well over 14 inches of rain in the last 48 hours. To everyone who has asked after me and my family I just want to say thank you and to let you know that we are safe. Even though there is water all around the area with trees down and rivers over their banks our property, because it is at a higher elevation than most, is safe.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the rest of the state. Not so very far away there are lots of houses under water and I know that my home state is being devastated even as I write. For anyone who has ever been here you will know that this is one of the most beautiful parts of the United States which makes it even harder to take. While Tennessee may not be the richest state in the union the people here are hard working, God loving, gentle folk who didn't need this.

If you have the opportunity to donate anything to a relief effort, should one be organized, please do so. At the very least, please keep the people in this area in your thoughts and prayers as you go to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Followers